10 Interesting Facts about Ohio
Ohio, is a state of the United States. Postal abbreviation for Ohio is OH. Ohio taken from the Iroquois language, which means “big water”. This name refers to the Ohio River that forms its southern border. Here are 10 interesting Ohio facts.
1. The first ambulance service was founded in Cincinnati in 1865.
2. Cleveland offers the first traffic light in America. It started on August 5, 1914.
3. Ermal Fraze find pop-top in Kettering.
4. James J. Ritty, Dayton, found the cashier in 1879 to stop customers from stealing his profits home.
5. “Hang on Sloopy” is the official state rock song.
6. Cincinnati Reds is the first professional baseball team.
7. Y Bridge in Zanesville was first built in 1814 to span the confluence of the Muskingum. The bridge construction is currently fifth in the same location. “Ripley’s Believe It or Not” proclaimed it the only bridge in the world that you can cross and still be on the same side of the creek.
8. Akron is the first city to use police cars.
9. Cincinnati department’s first professional city fire department.
10. Akron is the rubber capital of the world.
United States Navy named a ship the USS Ohio in honor of the state. Some of the facts above are facts about Ohio.