10 Interesting Pollution Facts
Pollution or environmental pollution is the introduction of living things, energy substances, and / or other components into the environment, or changing the order of the environment by human activity or by natural processes so that environmental quality decreases to a certain level which causes the environment to be no longer works in accordance with its function. This is a list of pollution facts that occurs in water, soil and air.
1. 40% of U.S. Rivers and 46% of American lakes contaminated waste, and hazardous to for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.
2. Mississippi River – which flows through the nearly 40% from the Americas – to bring about 1.5 million metric tons of nitrogen pollution into the Gulf of Mexico each year. The resulting dead zones in the Gulf each summer is larger than the area of New Jersey.
3. 1.2 trillion gallons of liquid waste and industrial waste are discharged into U.S. waters annually.
4. Pollution of drinking water is a problem for about half of the world population. Every year there are approximately 250 million cases of illness caused by water, resulting in approximately 5 to 10 million deaths.
5. Vehicle exhaust contributes about 60% of all carbon monoxide emissions nationwide, and up to 95% in big cities.
6. Large-scale hog farms emit hydrogen sulfide gas, which most often causes flu-like symptoms in humans, but at high concentrations can cause brain damage.
7. Each year, U.S. factories spew 3 million tons of toxic chemicals into the air, soil and water.
8. In the U.S. 41% of all insecticides used on corn. Of these, 80% is used to treat a pest that can be controlled simply by turning a different crop for one year.
9. Each year, one American produces more than 3285 pounds of hazardous waste and more than 80% of items in landfills can be recycled, but some do not
10. America produces 30 billion foam cups, 220 million tires, and 1.8 billion disposable diapers every year.
The data above are facts about pollution are largely caused by humans. Human nature is the main cause of damage. Pollution and waste is the cause of the destruction of nature so as to make the temperature of the earth becomes hotter. Currently, environmental pollution has reached terrifying levels. Man must act now to prevent more severe damage to nature.