10 Interesting Sea turtle Facts
Turtles found in all oceans of the world. According to data from scientists, sea turtles have existed since the end of the Jurassic era (145-208 million years ago) or the same age as the dinosaurs. At that time Archelon, measuring body length of six meters, and Cimochelys have swum in the sea turtle ancient as the present. This ancient animal, believed to be guardians of the balance of marine ecosystems. Where sea turtles are found, there can be found abundant natural wealth of the sea. Turtles can be found in all oceans of the world. It is undeniable that the turtle is an interesting creature. But they often fail to achieve the level of recognition that they are truly amazing animals. You will learn a lot when you read 10 interesting sea turtle facts.
1. Leatherback turtle is the only species that have no backbone attached to the inside of the shell. They are also the world’s largest species of sea turtles.
2. Baby turtles emerge from the eggs and scramble straight into the water. They can never interact with their parent. It is their own instinct that drives them to go directly to the water. Male turtle is the species that most will never leave the water once they enter the water during adolescence.
3. Sometimes it is often difficult to distinguish between male and female sea turtles because they have the same body size. How can you identify them is that the turtle has a long tail in the male reproductive organs where they are.
4. Is a myth that all the turtle can tuck their heads into their shells. All tortoises can, but not with sea turtles. If you look closely, you’ll see that they all have lids that provide protection from the sun into their eyes. They can see well in water but not on land. They are also color blind.
5. It is a common myth that turtles can cry. What actually happens is that they excrete salt from their bodies through their eyes.
6. One of the methods used by males to see who will be selected for mating with females is turtle neck that can lift the most high. Then the female turtle would choose.
7. Turtle is an amazing swimmer, and they can do it for hours without fatigue. They can move from 1 mile per hour to about 5 miles per hour. What is interesting is that some of them swam to travel hundreds or more than 1,000 kilometers to reach the breeding grounds.
8. Turtle can dive more than 1,000 feet into the water to reach the food. However, most of the time they are used to living in shallow water. They are cold blooded so they have the ability to slow down their metabolism. As a result, they can go several months without food if necessary.
9. It can be difficult to estimate accurately the age of turtles. However, it is believed that many species can live 50-80 years in nature with the right conditions.
10. Each of the largest turtles that were found to have weights 1500 pounds and 28 inches long. The muscles in their body are stronger than man. Some turtles can travel up to 1300 miles in one day when migrating. This device is based on tracking studies on turtles. Some interesting facts above are facts about sea turtle.