10 Interesting Darfur Genocide Facts
Darfur becomes battlefield between militiamen and civilians. Thousands of people were killed at the hands of the Janjaweed, a government-supported militia recruited from local Arab tribes. The facts of genocide in Darfur have claimed 400,000 lives and left more than 2.5 million people displaced. More than one hundred people continue to die every day and over five thousand die every month. Here are 10 interesting Darfur genocide facts.
1. 90% of target villages of ethnic groups in Darfur have been destroyed.
2. 300,000 people died directly from the violence in Darfur.
3. Since the beginning of the Darfur conflict in 2003, more than 400,000 civilians have been killed which means about 150 people lost their lives every day.
4. 80% of those displaced are women and young girls who are victims of sexual violence and kidnapped into sexual slavery.
5. Humanitarian refugee camps in Chad and Sudan’s crowded, full of disease, and vulnerable to militia attacks.
6. 97% of killings of civilians committed by militia groups instructed by the government.
7. With every 1,000 births in Darfur, at least 150 died as a result of malnutrition. Also, 45% of children suffer physical stunting as a result of the lack of proper nutrition.
8. On 9 September 2004, the United States Secretary of State Colin Powell said the conflict in Darfur is genocide, and called it the worst humanitarian crisis in the 21st century.
9. 250,000 people have fled Darfur, mainly to Chad where they face further violence.
10. About three million people have been displaced in Sudan, and all of this is facts about Darfur genocide.