10 Interesting Michigan Facts
Michigan is a state of the United States. This state is located in the center. In 2008, this state has a population of 10,045,697 people and has an area of 253,793 km ². Capital is Lansing. The following are interesting Michigan facts.
1. Michigan is the only place in the world with the post office over the water. JW Westcott II is the only postal service in the world that delivers mail to ships. They have been operating for 125 years and until now still in progress.
2. The first police radio system in the world founded in 1929 by the Michigan State Police.
3. Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in America with cageless system, so we could see the animals roam freely.
4. Michigan has 116 lighthouses and navigational lights.
5. Mackinac Bridge is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.
6. The first soda pop made in the U.S., Vernor ginger ale, created by an accident in 1866 in Detroit.
7. Henry Ford, who produced the first car in 1893, founded the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
8. Michigan is the country most famous for hunting and fishing license sales.
9. In 1817 the University of Michigan was the first university established by state. Originally named Cathelepistemian and is located in Detroit, the name was changed in 1821. University moved to Ann Arbor in 1841.
10. Michigan Sault Ste. Marie was founded by Father Jacques Marquette was the third oldest remaining settlement in the United States.
Michigan State popular because has lots of boats for recreation. Some interesting things above is facts about Michigan.